In the U.S., cars have become an essential item.  Even people in poverty prioritize having a car in order to get everywhere.  Some people even choose to buy RVs or buses to travel and live in. It has become a way of life, and it has even become a common gift.  Shows such as “My Super Sweet 16” glorify getting a car as a gift on a person’s 16th birthday. Some people, mainly celebrities, brag about having multiple cars.  We drive our cars everywhere, and even though we offer public transportation, cars are still the preferred method of travel. However, I was impressed the find cars are almost nonexistent in the UK.  The people traveled by bus, train, and subway everywhere they went, and when we did see a car, it was usually a small compact electric car. They have clearly set the bar as far as fuel emissions go, and it was amazing to see.  Many things, especially in Scotland, were close together making it an easy walk, but it was even easy to travel farther away with the assistance of buses and trains. If we had a place to go, there was an alternative form of transportation other than a car to take us.  It was much different from sitting in Atlanta traffic where you can see the fumes clouding up the sky. It was very different than people riding around in giant diesel trucks. It was very different than having to hop in a car myself to go to my parents or go see my friends.  In Athens, we have buses that travel around campus, but there are no options if I have to travel outside of Athens. When I stay in Cumming there is no bus system to take me anywhere there either, and nothing is really within walking distance. The UK somehow has it figured out, and maybe the U.S. should also work on that.  Places like Forsyth County have taken some initiative at least by requiring emission checks every year, but maybe public transportation could be the answer.