uruguay2 uruguay3 uruguay4 uruguay5

For those curious about the food:

We were always fed well! A typical meal always has a big piece of meat and bread (like 50 types of bread!), but don’t expect all the sauces and garnishes we use in the US because Uruguay keeps it simple. The Uruguayan way is to enjoy dinner together, so expect to sit down to dinner no earlier than 9 and to stay awhile in fellowship.

For those worried about the company:

I only knew three people going on the trip when I left, but our whole group became instantly close upon arrival. We encouraged each other to try new things and laughed with each other over our Spanish speaking mistakes (no worries if you can’t speak any Spanish- most of us only knew key words like agua, el bano and la comida). Our host in Uruguay, Bruno, is one of the funniest men I’ve met and he knew each of us by name. Long story short- you will make many great friends!

For those wondering if you will actually learn anything:

YES! Our trip was filled with a variety of topics (dairy, beef, sheep, agribusiness/econ, forestry, etc.) I came into the program wanting to learn more about cattle management and agribusiness and did not think a thing about rice. However, every topic, including rice, was covered in such a way that I was engaged in learning. Pastures, company plants, and mountain tops become your classroom.

Will you have time to really see Uruguay?

Yes, we travel to three cities in Uruguay (Montevideo, Treinta y Tres, and Punta del Este) and you are given the opportunity to really experience each of them both with Bruno’s guidance and a little free time.