Hi,

For those of you wondering, I studied abroad in Costa Rica this past May, and let me just tell you that I had never been on an airplane before, let alone been out of the country. I couldn’t contain my excitement as I walked through the airport. I knew studying abroad was going to be one of the best experiences of my freshman year. With that said, there were some worries and concerns. I was freaking out, thinking that I might miss my flight, lose my boarding pass, or even be patted down going through security. Luckily, none of those things happened!!! Here are some helpful tips to put your mind at ease:

1. Arrive at the airport 3 hours prior to your flight
  2. Download your boarding pass on your phone to make checking in much easier
  3. Pack LIGHT-you don’t want to have to lug around a heavy suitcase, and you want to be able to bring back souvenirs
  4. Reach out to other students studying abroad in the same program as you (that way, you can meet up in the airport/once you land)
  5. Earbuds are essential!!!

A lot of freshman feel discouraged to study abroad because they are afraid to be on their own in a different country. Let me tell you: don’t buy into that!! Freshman actually have an advantage because they are comfortable living in a small space with a roommate, and being in a different country for three weeks is much less of an adjustment than moving off to college. If you are even considering studying abroad, do it. College is going to fly by in the blink of an eye, so you don’t want to waste any opportunity that presents itself!!!