I hope my family and friends back home in the states don’t miss me, because I’m not sure I’ll ever return!! We’ve visited many wonderful ranches and research stations that include dairy farms, as well as INIA’s beef and sheep experimental station. Each farm we’ve visited so far has been unique in their own way, but full of useful information that shares insight into Uruguay’s intricate agricultural system. I enjoy the opportunities to view these extraordinary places and discuss with the farmers the similarities and differences of farming in the United States.

On the plane ride from Miami to Uruguay I sat next to a gentlemen who was born in Uruguay and for a solid two hours we discussed the culture of Uruguay and differences he experienced in Miami. The language barrier was difficult for me at first, but I’m actually having fun with it and really enjoying trying to speak with others. A miniature language classroom quickly evolves and each person in conversation starts teaching the other their native language. What is most insane for me here is that everyone in Uruguay has a night owl personality, which is similar to myself. The streets and cities come alive after nine o’clock at night. The restaurants don’t start getting busy till nine thirty! One night we were at dinner till midnight and the city was steadily active.  We’ve had extraordinary meals for lunch and dinner every night, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed everyone’s company. I’m trying my best to take it all in and make every second count because before I know it unfortunately this amazing trip will come to an end.