On my last day in Europe, I wrote this in my journal: “The past twenty days have been a whirlwind of (what will become) lifelong memories. I don’t think I will ever forget walking through the park at night to see the Coliseum, getting lost in the Boboli gardens, or watching guards pace at Edinburgh Castle! We have seen so much each day that I had to start this journal just so that I could remember every place we visited and every emotion it elicited. I just can’t believe it’s already over.”

My study abroad program, quick though it was, has filled pages of pages of my journal with scenes and stories that only I can exactly remember. For the rest of my life, I will always have fond memories of my adventures through Italy, France, England, Scotland, and Ireland. I don’t know if this trip has changed me for the better, but it has changed me for good (sorry for the cheesy joke, but I am still amazed at the Wicked showing I saw in London!). I know more about myself and more about the world around me. For example, I know that I LOVE Italian paninis and memes can even start from paintings you see in the Louvre. I have learned that cultures vary between and within countries, but there are far more things that unite us than divide us. I even know that a group of strangers, brought together by a desire to see the world and learn more about horticulture, can be transformed into a close-knit group of travel buddies in a matter of days.

When my friends and family ask about my favorite moment, I can’t give them a good answer. It might have been the view at the top of Calton hill in Edinburgh, because it gave me a sense of awe and independence and humility, but there were too many moments like this in order to say for sure. Overall, I am just beyond thankful to have had the opportunity to do this, and especially for the College of Ag (you guys helped me make this happen!). Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! You have awakened the global citizen in me. You see, I signed up for this study abroad program in order to learn more about how gardens are influenced by art (and vice versa) and to have my last adventure/celebration before beginning medical school, but I got off of the plane in Georgia with new memories, new friends, new knowledge, and a new thirst for travel. As it turns out, the end of this trip is only the beginning of my travels. I can’t wait to begin my next adventure in the fall in medical school with all of the tools that you have given me. Ciao for now!