It’s almost here! This Friday I will be leaving to go to Costa Rica for a week to study about the production of coffee from the bean to the cup. I have never been on a study abroad trip, and I am really excited to see what it will be like to learn about agriculture in another country.

While I am really excited, I am also a bit nervous. I am always a bit apprehensive to go to somewhere new and meet new people. I am hoping that I will be able to step out of my comfort zone and actually try new things and make some new friends. One thing that I am most concerned about is the food. Although I am a Food Science major, I am a very picky eater. I am packing my snacks so that I know I will at least have something to eat, but the food will definitely be an adventure in itself for me. I am also nervous about traveling on my own to a new country. I have been out of the country before, but I have always been able to count on someone to lead me and show me what to do. While I will be traveling with my group, this trip will really be the first time that I’ll have to take charge and be confident in what I am doing. This will be a great opportunity for me to grow.

This will be the first time that I have been away from my family for Thanksgiving. It’s going to be different for sure, but I will still stop and take the opportunity to reflect on what I am thankful for. We will still get to celebrate Thanksgiving even though we will be in Costa Rica, and Thanksgiving is an American holiday. I am excited to get to help prepare some of the food and to spend time with my fellow classmates. Even though they aren’t my actual family, I am hoping that we will have all bonded and can be each other’s fill in families. I will definitely be sure to reflect on how grateful I am to be able to go on this trip and have an experience like this. It will definitely be a unique Thanksgiving, but I am sure it will be a good one.

When I signed up for this trip back in March, I wasn’t really sure what to expect other than coffee and class credit. Now that I have had time to actually understand what we will be doing, I see that it is so much more than that. This trip is about learning about another culture and experiencing the way that they do agriculture. It’s about broadening my horizons and letting God grow me in so many ways. It’s about building friendships and expanding my food science knowledge. I cannot wait to see what this trip has in store, and I can’t wait to tell you all about the things we do!