Food Science and Technology
Office: Melton Building, room 180 – Griffin, GA
1109 Experiment Street
The University of Georgia
Griffin, GA 30223-1797
B.E., National Taiwan Ocean University with major in seafood processing, 1977
M.S., University of Minnesota with major in food science, 1982
Ph.D., University of Minnesota with major in food science, 1985
Additional Website: UGA Food Science and Technology Personnel
Research, Teaching and Extension Work
Dr. Hung’s research is focused on applying the fundamentals of engineering science to biological materials to ensure the high quality and safety of food products. He has published over 130 scientific, refereed journal articles. Dr. Hung has also been working to develop peanut-based products (peanut-burger, peanut pasta, peanut drink/beverage, etc.) to increase demand for peanuts. He has also organized the Hot Topics on Peanuts conference since 2003 as part of the annual Georgia Peanut Tour pre-program. Dr. Hung is currently working on the Peanut Information Network System, a USAID Peanut-CRSP-funded project that will develop a Web-based information distribution system to share and distribute information on peanut organizations, peanut-related publications, training materials, peanut production practices around the world, peanut-based foods from around the world, peanut meetings, workshops, and other related news, and links to other useful sites.
- Chompreeda, P., A. V. A. Resurreccion, Y.-C. Hung and L. R. Beuchat. 1987. Quality evaluation of peanut-supplemented Chinese type noodles. J. Food Sci. 52:1740-1741.
- Chompreeda, P., A. V. A. Resurreccion, Y.-C. Hung and L. R. Beuchat. 1988. Modeling the effect of peanut and cowpea flour supplementation on quality of Chinese-type noodles. Int. J. Food Sci. & Tech. 23:555-563.
- Hung, Y.-C. and M. S. Chinnan. 1989. Mechanical texture measurement of whole and chopped peanuts. Peanut Sci. 16:32-37.
- Hung, Y.-C. 1989. Predicting the effect of drying conditions on the textural properties of roasted peanuts. Trans. of ASAE. 32:968-972.
- Muego, K.F., A. V. A. Resurreccion and Y.-C. Hung. 1990. Characterization of the textural properties of spreadable peanut based products. J. Texture Stud. 21:61-73.
- Hung, Y.-C. 1990. Effect of curvature and surface area on colorimeter readings – A model study. J. Food Qual. 13:259-269.
- Kim, N.-K. and Y.-C. Hung. 1991. Mechanical properties and chemical composition of peanuts as affected by harvest date and maturity. J. Food Sci. 56:1378-1381, 1392.
- Tollner, E. W. and Y.-C. Hung. 1992. Low resolution pulse magnetic resonance for measuring moisture in selected grains and kernels. J. Agric. Eng. Res. 53:195-208.
- Clavero, Ma. R. S., Y.-C. Hung, L. R. Beuchat and T. Nakayama. 1993. Catalase content in peanut milk as affected by the growth of Aspergillus parasiticus. J. Food Prot. 56:55-57.
- Clavero, Ma. R. S., Y.-C. Hung, L. R. Beuchat and T. Nakayama. 1993. Separation of aflatoxin- contaminated kernels from sound kernels by hydrogen peroxide treatment. J. Food Prot. 56:130-133, 146.
- Hung, Y.-C. 1994. Effect of harvest date on the chemical composition of peanuts. Trans. ASAE 37:501-505.
- Clavero, Ma. R. S., M. A. Harrison and Y.-C. Hung. 1994. Aspergillus parasiticus NRRL 2667 growth and aflatoxin synthesis as affected by calcium content and initial spore load in single peanuts. J. Food Prot. 57:415-418.
- Clavero, Ma. R. S., Y.-C. Hung, L. R. Beuchat and T. Nakayama. 1994. Flavor, color and texture of peanuts treated with hydrogen peroxide. Peanut Sci. 21:1-4.
- Enwere, N. J. and Y.-C. Hung. 1996. Some chemical and physical properties of bambara groundnut (Voandzeia subterranea Thouars) seed and products. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition. 47:469-475.
- Tollner, E. W., V. Boudolf, R. W. McClendon and Y.-C. Hung. 1998. Predicting peanut maturity with magnetic resonance. Trans. ASAE. 41(4):1199-1205.
- Yeh, J. Y., R. D. Phillips, A. V. A. Resurreccion and Y.-C. Hung. 2002. Physicochemical and sensory characteristic changes in fortified peanut spreads after 3 months of storage at different temperatures. J. Agr. Food Chem. 50(8):2377-2384.
- Yeh, J. Y., A. V. A. Resurreccion, R. D. Phillips and Y.-C. Hung. 2002. Overall acceptability and sensory profiles of peanut spreads fortified with protein, vitamins, and minerals. J. Food Sci. 67:1979-1985.
- Yeh, J. Y., R. D. Phillips, and Y.-C. Hung. 2004. Optimizing protein-and vitamin-fortified peanut spreads containing soybean or milk powder. J. Food Quality 26:243-256.
- Jarrard, M. Jr., Y.-C. Hung, K. McWatters, and R.D. Phillips. 2007. Effect of milling and preparation method on the physical properties and quality of moin-moin (steamed paste). Journal of Food Science. 72(5):E243-248.
- Jarrard, M. Jr. and Y.-C. Hung. 2007. Milling of cowpea flour using cyclone assisted milling. Applied Eng. Agric. 23:785-792.
- Jarrard, M. Jr., Y.-C. Hung, K. McWatters, and R.D. Phillips. 2008. Application of attrition-milled soy flour in a beverage application. J. Food Proc. Eng. (In press).