Wolf Mountain Vineyards Post Trip

After visiting Wolf Mountain Vineyards, I have much more respect and appreciation for viticulture. The effort and precision that goes into growing fine wine grapes like Cabernet and Merlot blew me away. I also didn’t realize that there was such a thing as the “Dahlonega Plateau” American Viticultural Area. The red Georgia clay and elevation of the vineyard results in a grape unlike any other in the United States. I had many misconceptions about grapes. I thought cold weather was entirely bad for vines. However, cold weather is essential to drive insects as far away as possible from the vineyard. This keeps the vines safe from diseases like Pierce’s disease spread by insects. I also didn’t know that the older the vine gets, the amount of fruit on the vine decreases but increases in quality. I had no idea how in-depth the wine-making process was. For some reason I just imagine juicing the grapes and then leaving them to ferment for a year or two. However, wine-making is a very specific and scientific process. Grapes must be juiced a certain way and red grapes remain in contact with the skin of the fruit to achieve the deep red color. Making “sparking wines” (champagne) seemed to be another science on it’s own separate from wine-making. I did think it was interesting that they don’t grow any of their own white grapes, and that they choose not to use the Georgia Grown logo. They feel it’s lost some of its marketing power and meaning. I am very thankful that we had the opportunity to have an in-depth tour of the vineyard and winery. I’m inspired to try more fine wines, and maybe even fiddle around with my own vineyard one day. Also, the wine was delicious! Wolf Mountain Vineyards will definitely see me again.