Our lab focuses on:
(1) Development of advanced disease detection assay (asymptomatic):
- PCR based detection methods: PCR, RT-PCR, qPCR, dPCR, HRM-PCR etc.
- Onsite detection methods: LAMP, RPA, portable qPCR, ImmunoStrip assay etc.
- High throughput sequencing based methods: MinION, PacBio and Illumina etc.
(2) Disease monitoring to detect and quantify disease risks and molecular characterization of newly reported plant pathogens.
(3) Evaluation of fungicide sensitivity and molecular resistance mechanisms: Understanding molecular mechanism of fungicide resistance and the development of a rapid molecular tool for fungicide (DMI/QoI/ SDHI etc) resistance testing
Research questions in our laboratory
A. How can we utilize novel genomic approaches to develop molecular diagnostic tools for invasive/emerging plant pathogens?
B. How can we use advanced technologies to better explain the fungicide resistance mechanism against plant pathogens?
C. How do plant pathogen and fungicide resistance disperse and distributed across wider geographical ranges?